This website is designed to provide basic information about the Oregon Homeschool Science Club for its members and to encourage all homeschoolers on ways to take OMSI home with them. To join, read through our website and then check out the registration page.
To get started creating your own Homeschool Science class at OMSI, please contact OMSI directly, http://www.omsi.edu/homeschoolclasses.
It’s really easy!
1) OMSI’s Group Registration program is extremely helpful in creating programs to fit your homeschool groups’ budget as well as your schedule. Ask about all their different labs (too many to list!), OMNImax shows, Planetarium shows, and Sub Tours.
Anything open to traditional schools are open to homeschoolers.
2) When you call, have a number of the size of your group, the age range, your topic of interest you are focusing on — or a wish to do a series of classes, and some dates you would like to condor. Groups are charged at a minimum of 12. Some labs have restrictions for age or maximum size. Groups will also need to be accompanied by parent-teachers, so have a few volunteers ready to assist.
3) The Registrar coordinator will walk you through the process, but it is rather easy. After securing your date and lab, contact your families and set a meeting place at OMSI. The day of your labs , you will show up for classes wearing a group name tag. You will have a class in your designated lab, doors closed to the public. It’s wonderful. You have an OMSI Science Educator, a couple OMSI volunteers or youth Rising Stars, and just your group. All of the supplies and materials are provided, great instructors that are real scientists, and the mess is not in your kitchen.
4) After your class, you assign the homework, if any. (Since we attend regularly, many of our students are being taught to keep a lab journal.)
5) Spend some extra time at OMSI seeing the other exhibits, have some lunch, and head home.
As an OMSI Volunteer, I would be happy to share how the Oregon Homeschool Science Club operates and assist you as you get your own homeschool group started into some incredible labs and classes offered at OMSI.